Inspiration: Rum Diary



If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the 2011 Rum Diary, now new and streaming on Netflix, and in the news somewhat as Johnny Depp is apparently now dating his co-star in the movie, Amber Heard, who also seems to date a woman who dresses and looks somewhat like him.

Depp's soon to be ex-wife Vanessa Paradis seems pissed.

The movie is based on the novel by the same name by the legendary Hunter S. Thompson, my own and many others inspiration to get into journalism, always fighting the fight for creativity, and rambling with anger against all the bastards, real or imagined.


Example: "I want to make a promise to you, the reader. And I don't know if I can fulfill it tomorrow, or even the day after that. But I put the bastards of this world on notice that I do not have their best interests at heart. I will try and speak for my reader. That is my promise. And it will be a voice made of ink and rage."


It also has a much shorter and somewhat subdued drug scene still reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite film scenes in the much more classic 1998 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, also with Johnny Depp.



Even though Rum Diary may not live on as a top movie on anyone's list like Fear and Loathing, it is also nonetheless brilliant precisely because it rambles, has its share of killer scenes and serves as a pedestal for a few well placed lines.

Comments

Popular Posts