Liberians of Rhode Island

While I was correspondent in West Africa for the Voice of America from 2003 to 2008, my favorite country to visit was Liberia, because of its intensity, its natural beauty, its edge, and also because of its English. English being my second language, Ive always appreciated its accents, variations, intonations. I must say my favorite English so far is Liberian English. One of my favorite states so far in the United States is Rhode Island, because of its green, its ocean, its hard working immigrant heritage and its lack of traffic jams.

Put some of these aspects together, and Ive come up with a five part series on Liberians in Rhode Island. I tried to be positive and let people speak in their own words, and show some of their challenges and force of life, and reflect some of the diaspora existence.









Comments

Popular Posts